All The New England Revolution News
Still the two best logo redesigns I’ve seen.
A lot of things have happened over the past few days so I thought I’d be nice and put them all in one place for you…
- Defender Darrius Barnes, 30, has announced his retirement. Barnes played his entire MLS career- almost 150 matches- for the Revolution before spending last season with the New York Cosmos in the NASL. Barnes is the kind of player you think of when you hear the phrase, “a good servant to the club.” He’d start, he’d come off the bench, he’d play any position on the backline, and he’d give it his all. You really can’t ask for much more than that. I know I speak for all Revolution supporters when I say that I wish him well in whatever comes next for him.
- Brad Friedel’s hiring is already paying dividends. This week the club hired Antone McElhone as its new “head of fitness.” McElhone has spent the last decade at…wait for it…Tottenham Hotspur where he spent four years working with…wait for it…Brad Friedel. McElhone holds a UEFA “A” coaching license, worked at Hibernian F.C. before joining Spurs, and is a native of Scotland. One has to assume that he and Friedel have had an “agreement” in place for a while as McElhone has already put together individualize fitness plans for all Revolution players based on age, position, injury history, etc..
- Speaking of players, the club have re-signed Teal Bunbury, Andrew Farrell, Brad Knighton and Brian Wright, presumably to contracts that are more favorable to the club than their previous ones. Of these moves, only Brian Wright’s is a surprise as he was on the fringes of the fringes of the first team last year. All the deals appear to be for only the 2018- maybe a little incentive for them to improve their play?
- The club also announced their pre-season plans. They will first travel to Bradenton, FL in late January/early February where they will play a TBD MLS club, Malmo FF of Sweden, and USL side FC Cincinnati at IMG Academy. At the end of the month they will travel to Tucson, AZ to play in the
Desert Diamond Cup Mobile Mini Sun Cup against FC Dallas, Sporting KC, and a TBD opponent.
- The club has yet to sign any free agents, did not lose any players in the Expansion Draft, did not make a selection in the Waiver Draft, and, as far as I know, did not select any players during part one of the Re-Entry Draft that took place today.