So Many Rumors…
Usually I have to wait for one of the transfer windows to sink my teeth into some sweet, sweet speculation, but with the rash of managers getting fired and rumors of upcoming player movement it looks like I’m going to have to open up the Rumor Mill for a little while.
- YaYa Toure to NYCFC to replace the departing/retiring Andrea Pirlo? I can see this happening, he’s 34, probably not in the long (or even short) term plans at Manchester City, so why not sign a cushy two year deal, play for another former Man City star, enjoy all that Manhattan has to offer, and then call it a career?
- Cosmos coach Giovanni Savarese (and one time Revolution player) and Revolution legend Steve Ralston (currently an assistant in San Jose) continue to be mentioned as replacements for Jay Heaps in New England, but a few other names have emerged as well: former USMNT goalkeeper (and USMNT U19 coach) Brad Friedel and USMNT U18 coach Omid Namazi (who has interviewed for the position) being the most frequently mentioned.
- Ronald Koeman is out at Goodison Park and the list of names being churned out by the rumor mill is almost endless: David UnsworthD(current U23 coach for the Toffees), Ryan Giggs (also linked to the job at Leicester City), Sean Dyche (Burnley), Marco Silva (Watford), Carlo Ancelotti (most recently of Bayern Munich), and Thomas Tuchel (most recently at Borussia Dortmund).
- The thankless job of turning things around for the USMNT is yet to be filled and new names seem to be popping up every day. The most recent one that I’m hearing that Laurent Blanc (formerly of PSG, Bordeaux, and France) may be interested in the job. Sam Allardyce is apparently openly campaigning for the job. That doesn’t fill me with hope, but at least that means he won’t be in charge of Scotland! Whatever the case, U.S. soccer appear to want to name Tab Ramos as interim manager soon, but Ramos wants the job on a permanent basis.
- Several high profile U.S. soccer supporters are reportedly urging Landon Donovan to challenge Sunil Gulati for the role of USSF president. There’s no doubt in my mind that Gulati has to go, but Donovan? I don’t know, there’s name recognition, but what else?