Odds & Ends: It’s All Good Edition
I went away for about four days and…a lot of stuff happened! Let’s get right to it!
- Ross County F.C. signed Northern Ireland international and former Caley Thistle (Leicester City, Hinckley, Wigan, Northampton Town, Dundee United, and Oldham Athletic) striker Billy Mckay to a two year contract. Forget what happened (or didn’t happen) when he ventured south to try his luck at a higher level, he is a proven goal scorer in Scotland, racking up 79 goals 192 matches in all competitions during his two stints with Caley and a short time with Dundee United last season. It will be a delight to see him banging in the goals this season (and perhaps Ross Draper preventing them at the other end of the pitch…) while Caley struggle to remain in the Championship.
- Ross Couny also signed former Bolton youth player Tom Grivosti to it’s Developmental Squad. The 18 year old English defender was recently let go by Bolton Wanderers and should help bolster the backline of the current league champtions.
- Teal Bunbury (I still want him gone) scored twice to give the New England Revolution a 4-3 victory of L.A. Galaxy in what could only be described as a “free-for-all” of a football match. With this important three points the Revolution…still aren’t even in the neighborhood of making the playoffs. Eight points adrift, ya’ll.
- Rumor: The Revolution are one of several teams looking at former SKC striker Krisztian Nemeth as a transfer window signing. A good player, but there’s nothing he can bring to the Revolution that’s going to make a difference this season. Having said that, I’m beginning to think that the club’s yearly search for the “right player” is once again going to lead them to sign “no player.”
- Explain to me again why I’m supposed to care that Dom Dwyer was traded From SCK or Orlando if I’m not a supporter of either club? The “MLS record” $1.6m deal just isn’t doing it for me as a neutral observer.
- The USMNT face Jamaica for the Gold Cup title tonight. I do want the U.S. to win, but what I really want is for Clint Dempsey to score a goal and pass Landon Donovan as the USMNT’s “all-time leading goal scorer.” Also, as long as we’re talking about Landon, what do they give him before each match- Benadryl? Ambien?