Ye Olde Rumour Mill Is Back In Business!
I figured I’d use this one since I could see it from my front step before it was demolished last year!
(as always, please remember, these are just rumors!)
Please enjoy the following Ross County F.C. and New England Revolution rumors…
Ross County F.C.
- Byron Moore, F, Port Vale: This has “Derek Adams” written all over it- a “forward” who has averaged a goal every ten matches during his career and has left a bad taste in the mouths of both organizations he’s been with (Vale and Crewe Alexandra). No thanks. Yoann Arquin anyone?
- Nicky Clark, F, Rangers: Much as I am loath for the club to do business with the Old Firm, there might be something here. A product of the Aberdeen and Rangers youth programs, from a footballing family, and tore it up at Queen of the South and has scored on a regular basis since joining Rangers. Worth a look at least.
- Josh Peters, F, Strathspey Thistle: A former Caley youth player who is currently scoring goals in bunches for a (terrible) Highland League side he’s only 19 and has been on the radar of a few clubs this season. Might be worth a try, but at the same time, is he any better than the youngsters already on the books at County?
- Gary Mackay-Steven, F, Celtic: Hmm…Former Ross County youth player, sold to Liverpool where he never makes the senior side, short stay at Fulham, turns half a season at Airdrie United into a contract with Dundee United, spends four seasons as a first team regular at Tannadice before being snapped up by Celtic a year ago. Has mostly come off the bench this season. I assume this would be a loan for a remainder of the season and then…who knows? If the money’s right, why not? He knows the club, he’s looking for playing time, we have two forwards out for a long spell…
Kinda wish at least one of these rumors involved a center back…
New England Revolution
- Tyler Rudy (F) will reportedly join the club for the preseason. He was signed by the club last preseason and loaned out to Rochester Rhinos before a persistent injury forced him to undergo season-ending surgery. I honestly can’t see him making the club, but maybe they liked what they saw before the surgery and are willing to loan him out to a lower league side for another season.
- Joshua Phillips (D) will also reportedly join the club for the preseason. This will be his second stint with the club as a trialist. Last season Phillips played with USL side Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC (sorry, that sounds made up) where he was apparently on of the better center backs in the league’s Western Conference. I know the club needs some depth at CB, but let’s hope they’re looking at Phillips as “cover” rather than a first team player.
While these two moves are the most the Revs have done in the off-season (other than re-signing/extending their own players), I can’t say that either one leads me to believe they will be an improved side in 2016. Hopefully things are just warming up!