the tanner ba'

Monday Afternoon Re-Cap


While at work on Saturday there was a brief moment when I toyed with driving out to Gillette Stadium to see the Revolution play the Houston Dynamo, but I decided against it since I had to be up very early on Sunday morning.  My decision was vindicated later Saturday night when as a result of two different weather delays totaling 170 minutes, the second half of the match didn’t kick off until midnight!  At that point I was sound asleep.

I was delighted to awake on Sunday morning to find that the Revolution had done the business during the wee hours of the morning and dispatched the Dynamo by a score of 2-0.  Not surprisingly, given the delays, neither side scored during the first half nor did either side gain the upper hand for more than a few minutes at a time.

After a halftime that lasted for over an hour both clubs came out ready to put their stamp on the match, but it was the Revolution that succeeded in doing so, leading to the first goal of the match.  Lee Nguyen and substitute Diago Kobayashi worked a short corner that Nguyen crossed into the box, was flicked long by Houston’s A.J. Cochrane and ended up on the left foot of club captain Jose Goncalves.  JoGo hit a first time volley past goalkeeper Tyler Deric for what would prove to be the winning goal.

Lee Nguyen was also involved in the second goal of the match which came in the 88th minute, when he led a counter-attack and, after avoiding several tackles, squared the ball to Juan Agudelo, who kept his shot low and fired it past Deric to provide the home side with some insurance as the match entered its final minutes.

New England travel to PPL Park to face the Philadelphia Union on August 29.

Here are the highlights…

Meanwhile, across the pond…

…a poor start doomed Ross County in Scottish Premiership action.

Richard Foster congratulates goal scorer Liam Boyce.

Richard Foster congratulates goal scorer Liam Boyce.

County actually started well, but just after the 10 minute mark Heart of Midlothian’s Osman Sow banged a shot off the post (and in, obviously) and gave the visitors an early lead.

Only a few moments later a volley from Callum Paterson was turned past County’s Scott Fox by Alim Öztürk and Hearts were up 2-0 even though County weren’t playing badly at all.

Perhaps the turning point of the match came in the 38th minute when Hearts defender Igor Rossi body-slammed Chris Robertson during a County corner kick.  Rossi received a yellow card and County were given a penalty kick which was converted by Liam Boyce.  I’ll leave you to decide whether referee Bobby Madden chose the wrong color card- skip ahead to the 5:40 mark.

The victory keeps newly-promoted Hearts in first place (two points ahead of Celtic) and Ross County in sixth place- exactly where they began the weekend.  Next up for County is a trip to Rugby Park to face Kilmarnock this Saturday.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: