MLS 2014: Here We Go!!
I have no desire to take a long drawn out look at the upcoming season, to make predictions, or anything else of that nature. Instead I’d simply like to share with you that I can’t remember the last time I was this excited for an MLS season- both for the league in general and for the club I support (the Revolution)! Here are just a few of the reasons for my optimism:
- Designated players coming to MLS are getting younger, which bodes well for the league.
- Big Time American players (Dempsey, Bradley, possibly Altidore this summer) are returning to the league at the peak of their powers because the league is both paying enough and giving them good enough competition to play against.
- Generally speaking, the kits are getting better.
- The Chivas U.S.A. saga appears to be over- or at least to have a definitive end in sight.
- The list of “usual suspects” for the MLS Cup (L.A., Houston, RSL, Colorado, etc.) appears to be growing (Portland, New England, etc.), heck, Toronto might even make the playoffs!
- Finally, and most importantly, while a soccer specific stadium and a legitimate Designated Player remain as likely as a unicorn sighting, the New England Revolution seem to be pointed in the right direction, with some of the youngest and brightest talent in the league.
Only three hours until the Revs kick-off…WOOOOOOOO!