The 2013-2014 Liverpool Kits: They’re batting .333, which is good. I think.
Yes. Maybe? Oh, dear.
We’ve reached that point in the 2012-2013 football season where next years shirts- both confirmed and unconfirmed are beginning to pop-up all over the internet. This is especially true of clubs who would like to create a little good publicity in the hope of distracting supporters from yet another season of under achieving (pssst…I’m talking about Liverpool). Which brings us to the picture above. Let me first say one thing: Neither Liverpool Football Club nor Warrior (the kit maker) has confirmed any of these kits. Again, THEY ARE UNCONFIRMED!! That being said, here are some reasons why I think these are for real:
- The home kit is entirely plausible- only the white detailing at the collar and cuffs is changed from last season.
- The away kit’s colors are a return to the most popular “color way” that Liverpool has used over the years, beginning in 1912.
- There are pictures of these kits all over the web from different sources, some on people, some on mannequins, some “mocked-up” and they are all the same, so unless all of the Liverpool shirt fans on the web got together in a conspiracy the likes of which the world has ever seen…
- The unconfirmed Liverpool kits I brought you last year turned out to be about 95% accurate.
- This is what Warrior does. Seriously, take a look.
So, with that out of the way, here’s what I think of them:
- Home: Perfect. The only thing Warrior had to do with Liverpool’s iconic home kit was not to screw it up, and they didn’t. To be fair, nobody has ever really messed this kit up, except may be the Adidas “Equipment” era jerseys (1991-1995) and even those weren’t awful. Come to think of it, I quite liked the dark green away top they wore in this era- especially the one with the color-matched crest…
- Away: Initially, I hated it. But that was when I had only seen the shirt. Combined with the all black shorts and black socks as well…I don’t know, it might be okay. Unfortunately, history tells me that Liverpool usually wear white or red socks with this color combination. The repeating pattern at the bottom of the shirt reminds me of some of the terrible kits that Umbro put out in the first half of the 1990s, but again, I just can’t seem to hate it as much as I think I should.
- Third: Just like last year when I was told that the awful “tribal” patterns on the third kit were meant to “evoke the ironwork on the Shankly gates…” I am 100% sure that I’m going to get a comment from a Liverpool supporter telling me all about how this or that aspect of this shirt harkens back to the such-and-such from Liverpool’s illustrious past and that purple pattern is an abstract rendering of Ian Rush’s nose, and I will accept all of these assertions as I am not a Liverpudlian (and if I was, I’d be an Evertonian!). That will not change the fact, however, that just like last year’s third kit, these are atrocious. No, wait, these are worse that last year’s.
Two other things before I depart: First, obviously I had to go with a baseball reference in the title, right? Second, the only good kit Reebok has ever made was a Liverpool kit- care to guess which one it was?
I will be interested to hear what you all think of these. Comment away!!