Odds & Ends: I missed all of this Edition
The champions, post race. That’s my Revs cap behind the shades and my ruined blue, gold, and white (H.S. colors) argyle socks on my feet. I’m also carefully hiding my bloody arm.
Let me preface all of the following by saying of the three matches I’m going to comment on below, I saw none of them. I followed the USMNT – Jamaica match via Twitter, but that’s it.
- About that…well done to Clinton Drew Dempsey, but from what I hear, that’s about it. I don’t care where the match is played, we should never lose to Jamaica. Ever. It’s nothing against them, they do punch above their weight, but no, it should not happen. One can only hope that this is a wake up for Jurgen’s Jungen. And while I’m at it, no more Dirty Hippy on the roster…ever..
- Scotland tied Serbia, 0-0, to open up their World Cup 2014 qualifying campaign. I’d have nothing bad to say about this if it hadn’t happened at home, and if the post-match comments from the Scottish players hadn’t generally boiled down to, “we could have tried harder,” and if the Serbians hadn’t said pretty much the same thing, “They could have beaten us…”. Still, it’s not a disaster. However, if they go out and do anything other than pummel Macedonia in their next qualifier things are going to get ugly in a hurry.
- So I step away for a few days and the New England Revolution win a match?! Well…fine. One more point from their remaining matches and this season will be an improvement over last season. Why doesn’t it feel that way…at all? Dimitry Imbongo scored his first goal- yay. More importantly, guess who was all over this match after receiving another starting opportunity? Lil’ Diego Fagundez. Keep him in their, Coach Heaps, good things happen when he is.
- Ross County did not play this weekend…sadness. No news on any free agent signings either.
- In other news from the Highlands, derby rivals and second last place club in the Scottish Premier League, Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C., have given up 13 goals in their first five matches (County have given up…let me double-check, ah, here it is, 1 goal in 5 matches). ICT, there’s a call for you from a Mr. Nelson MacMuntz…
- As long as we’re talking SPL bottom-feeders, how do you think Gary Miller (one of three County players not to accept a contract offer from the club over the summer) is enjoying life at St. Johnstone F.C.? They’re in last place and he’s only made two appearances- and one of those as a sub- after starting every match for County last season. I hope the money was worth it…