Welcome back. This week’s Prime Minister’s Question Time answers post is worth reading even if you didn’t submit your own answers- there’s some pretty neat stuff contained in them. There’s a bit of automobile trivia, the Red Sox, the Yankees, a monorail, and at least three people who are not very talented. As is always the case long-time reader and commenter Andrew M. knocked it out of the park with his answers. This time around he was joined by my former colleague, Kevin, from the good old days at Avoiding the Drop. Kevin will be receiving his “Certificate of Participation” in the mail in 4-6 weeks. And now for this week’s answers…
1. What do Alexi Lalas, JoJo, Sabrina, and Colby O’Donis all have in common?
They’ve all performed the National Anthem before an MLS Cup match.
2. Only two New Hampshire natives have played for the USMNT- who are they?
Charlie Davies (Manchester), Conor Casey (Dover), Jay Heaps (Nashua). I have to thank Andrew for reminding me about that last one- I’ve apparently done a good job blocking anything Revolution-related from my mind.
3. I played in a FIFA U-16 World Championship (scoring two goals!), I was a starting point guard at a Division 1 school, and I then played for in MLB for 11 seasons. Who am I?
This, and more, was accomplished by one Curtis Pride. Pride, who is 95% deaf, was a three sport high school athlete, a two sport collegiate athlete at the College of William & Mary (Curtis was no slouch when it came to academic pursuits, apparently), before going on to play for the Red Sox, Yankees, Angels, Expos, Tigers, and Braves. He is now the head baseball coach at Washington, D.C.’s Gallaudet University, the premier American university for the deaf and hearing impaired.
4. What current German club was once the factory team of both Audi and Trabant?
FSV Zwickau. As BSG Horch Zwickau (A. Horch & Co. later became Audi) and BSG Sachsenring Zwickau (VEB Sachsenring Automobilwerke manufactured the Trabant from 1957 to 1990 in East Germany). If you’re not familiar with the two-stroke, two cylinder Trabant, go here.
5. What is the only club to play in the Bundesliga, the UEFA Cup, and come from a city with a suspended monorail!?
Wuppertaler SV Borussia who hail from the city of Wuppertal. The hanging monorail is called the “Schwebebahn” (hanging tram).
6. Who was the first Scottish player to play in the top four divisions with the same club?
Derek Collins, who accomplished the feat over the span of 534 league matches with Greenock Morton F.C.
7. Who is the only Maltese international to play in an MLS match?
Etienne Barbara has made 30 appearances for Malta and, so far, one for Seattle Sounders F.C.
8. During my 18 year career I led two different European leagues (France and Belgium) in scoring for a season each, represented a third country- which no longer exists- as an international player, and once scored the “Goal of the Year” in my home country. I was also the first player of my race to be capped by my country. Oh, and did I mention that my father was American? Who am I?