Odds & Ends: Ross County F.C. in the S.P.L. Edition
This actually hangs on the outside wall of the stadium. Seriously.
With Ross County F.C.’s first ever Scottish Premier League match scheduled to kick off against Motherwell F.C. at
Victoria Park Global Energy Stadium in just 24 hours I thought this might be a good time to collect together all of the the relevant bits and pieces of information- odds and ends, if you will- that it would be good to know before the season commences. It is also a good time to let you know that if you thought you heard a lot about the club on this site last season, well, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet! Okay, lets take a look at all of the things you need to know to properly enjoy tomorrow’s match!
- First off, should Ross County F.C. do something other than lose tomorrow they will set a record for the most matches without a defeat- 35- in the history of football in Scotland. Pretty damn impressive from the little-club-that-could.
- Unfortunately, “a result” may be a little harder to come by against Motherwell because midfielder Stuart Kettlewell will be suspended for the first two matches. Why? Well, as if it wasn’t bad enough that he was given a dubious- very dubious- red card in the club’s friendly against Dutch side Den Bosch last Friday, the referee in that match, Rutger Bekebrede, decide to report the infraction to the Scottish Football Association- something he didn’t have to do. Lest you think that I’m being a “homer” of the worst kind here, even the Dutch press has castigated Bekebrede for his overall performance in this match- not just the call against Kettlewell.
- Ross County’s third match of the season- a home match against Celtic F.C.- will be shown LIVE on SkySports/ESPN UK. You better believe I’m going to find a way to watch it!
- How do you know that Ross County are a “big time” club now? Easy, they now have an “international” roster. In addition to the Scottish players on the roster there are now players from all over the British Isles: Ireland, Northern Ireland, and England. Oh, and did I mention that they have a player from…wait for it…Switzerland!?
- Another reason to love this club? They gave him free tickets.
- Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the Venga Bus is up and running!